Richard Bernstein, MD, FCCPPhysician
Dr. Bernstein is not currently accepting new primary care patients, but is still available for pulmonology and allergy consults.
“Our vision is to provide comprehensive healthcare to our patients in an environment that seeks to support the innate beauty, spirituality and healing ability within all of us. Our commitment to our patients is:
- To merge state of the art medical technology with natural approaches to maintain and improve health.
- To work with each individual as a partner in their healthcare.
- To be kind, respectful and supportive.
- To listen.
We are committed to providing the best care possible to our patients. We view each patient as part of our extended family. We always have someone answering the phone and no matter how busy we are, you will find a caring voice concerned about your healthcare issues. We view healthcare as a partnership with our patients. We work with our patients to educate them on their healthcare conditions, mitigating factors and solutions. In addition to treating disease, we are committed to providing our patients with lifestyle strategies that have been documented to improve health and prevent disease.”
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Diseases
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- National Board of Medical Examiner
Areas of Expertise
- Asthma and Allergy
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Diseases
George Washington University Medical Center/VA Hospital
Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine
Internship and Residency
Washington Hospital Center
1983 to 1986
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
University of Michigan
Bachelor of Science
Phi Beta Kappa
Ann Arbor, MI
Hospital Affiliated With
Anne Arundel Medical Center
License to Practice Medicine, District of Columbia Dept. of Health, Board of Medicine (2019)
License to Practice Medicine, Virginia Board of Medicine (2019)
License to Practice Medicine, Maryland Board of Physicians (1986)
Privia Medical Group Mid-Atlantic- Annapolis, MD, 2016 to Present
– Director of Clinical Research: Collaborate to develop research in areas relating to patient care.
– Associate Lab Director: Liaise with lab and medical group to ensure lab quality control.
– Pod Leader: Ensure group performance in reducing costs and improving quality of patient care.
– Physician: Provide patient care in areas of internal, pulmonary, and allergy medicine.
Physicians Advisory Network- Annapolis, Maryland, 2009 to 2011
– Director: Worked with state delegate Ron George to provide physician access to legislature on issues related to patient health
Private Practice- Annapolis, Maryland, 1988 to present
– Owner and Physician: Provide full-access patient care in areas of internal, pulmonary and allergy medicine.
Greater Chesapeake Medical Group- Severna Park, Maryland, 1997 to 1998
– Physician and Board Member: Provided full-access patient care in areas of internal and pulmonary medicine.
Annapolis Outreach Medical Clinic- Annapolis, Maryland, 1994 to 1996
– Co-Founder Medical Director: Co-created and developed with Anne Arundel Medical Center low-cost/no-cost medical clinic providing free and low/cost medical care to low-income, uninsured and homeless populations.
Annapolis Pulmonary Specialists- Annapolis, Maryland, 1990 to 1997
– Physician and Partner: Provided full-access patient care in areas of pulmonary and critical care medicine.
American Medical Association (1988)
American College of Physicians (1988)
Anne Arundel County Medical Society (1988)
Bernstein, R. (2008). Author, May You Live a Long and Healthy Life: A Personal Guide to Healthy Aging and Optimal Health, Copyright 2008. ( Unpublished)
Dr. Bernstein enjoys almost all outdoor activities including hiking, biking, and golf. He enjoys spending time with his family, and professional and college sports, as well as the arts. “Every day is a blessing” and having a sense of humor is a must in today’s complex world.
Dr. Bernstein is board certified in Internal Medicine and Pulmonary Diseases and practiced pulmonary and critical care medicine for ten years before transitioning his practice to Internal Medicine, Asthma, and Allergies in 1998. Dr. Bernstein likes to focus on preventive medicine, nutrition and the influence our lifestyles have on our health. From a pulmonary perspective, Dr. Bernstein is particularly interested in the management of asthma, allergies, and chronic cough.
Dr. Bernstein received his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan with high distinction and graduated Phi Beta Kappa. Next, he went on to attend Vanderbilt University Medical School in Nashville, Tennessee. He completed his internship and residency at the Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C. Prior to entering private practice in 1988, he completed his fellowship in Pulmonary Diseases and Critical Care Medicine at The George Washington University Medical Center.