Patient Education & Useful Links
We believe strongly that patient education is the cornerstone of medical care. As such, we provide a variety of educational tools for our patients.
Join the discussion on Facebook to receive updates from the practice. View educational videos on Dr. Bernstein’s YouTube Channel and through our Educational Video Slideshows. You can also join Twitter to follow Dr. B’s Tweets about topical items of interest and ways to live longer healthier lives.
A preventive medicine manual, written by Dr. Bernstein and entitled, May You Live a Long and Healthy Life: A Personal Guide to Optimal Health and Healthy Aging is available through our front office.
Asthma and Allergy Fact Sheet
- Allergic Rhinitis is the fifth most costly health condition in the United States. It trails only hypertension, heart disease, mental illness and arthritis.
- Allergic Rhinitis affects 25% of the population
- Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis include a runny nose, itchy nose, sneezing, and nasal congestion
- Allergic Rhinitis is associated with the following diseases: asthma, sinusitis, otitis media, and recurrent respiratory tract infections.
- Allergic Rhinitis is associated with the following: decreased attention span and reaction times, decreased cognitive function, fatigue, impaired sleep, decreased productivity at work
- 7.7% of the population is currently diagnosed with asthma
- Over 12 million people have an asthma attack each year
- Over 500,000 people are hospitalized annually due to asthma
- Over 4,000 deaths a year is attributed to asthma
- The keys to controlling asthma as identified by the NIH guidelines include: proper diagnosis, identification and treatment of environmental triggers, proper use of medication, patient education
- Asthma is a disease of both airway inflammation and spasm of airways
- Airway inflammation causes changes to the basement membrane of the airways which predispose the patient to further asthma attacks. These changes can be controlled with medication but never go away.
- American College of Physicians
- Center for Disease Control
- National Institutes of Health
- American Diabetes Association
- American Cancer Society
Asthma and Allergy:
- Global Initiative for Asthma
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease
- Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
- Liquid Facelift Association
- American Society of Laser Medicine and Surgery
External Content Disclaimer